Summer Youth Players
Teen Theatre Camp for Grades 6-12
The Porter Project – Twisted Shakespeare!
- Optional Writing Workshop: April 30-May 25
- Intro Workshop & Auditions: June 19 & 20
- Rehearsal: July 9-26
- Performances: July 27-29, August 2-5
Double, double toil and trouble! In the middle of his famous Macb–er, the play that it’s bad luck to name in a theatre–Shakespeare inserted the character of the porter, a buffoon of the highest order who almost brings the play to a screeching halt when he refuses to open the door after a murder and delivers a stand-up comedy routine to the audience instead. Inspired by other “what if” Shakespeare stories like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, the students of 2018’s Summer Youth Project will write and produce an original play about the shenanigans going on behind the scenes of Macbe–um, that Scottish play. What is it like to be the doorman in the castle of a madman, and more importantly, does it make the job harder when it’s bad luck to say his name? This show aims to answer.
Optional Writing Workshop
– Mondays & Fridays
– April 30-May 25
Intro Workshop & Auditions
– Tuesday, June 19 & Wednesday, June 20
– Monday through Friday
– July 9-26
– All day tech/dress rehearsal on Thursday, July 26 from 9:00am-3:30pm
Optional Tech Sessions
– Monday through Friday, after rehearsal
– July 9-25
– Friday, July 27 @ 7:30pm
– Saturday, July 28 @ 7:30pm
– Sunday, July 29 @ 2:00pm
– Thursday, August 2 @ 2:00pm (brush-up rehearsal, special outreach performance)
– Friday, August 3 @ 7:30pm
– Saturday, August 4 @ 7:30pm
– Sunday, August 5 @ 2:00pm (followed by strike and cast party)
Something for everyone, whether it’s your first play, or your fiftieth!
One of the strongest values of SYP is “student fingerprints belong on everything.” Whether participants choose to register for the optional writing workshops that will create the text of the play, attend the no-additional-cost tech sessions to build, sew, light, and paint the show in the afternoons, or join us just for rehearsal and performance, everyone will have the opportunity to share their talents on the Lakeshore stage.
Students will create a community as they practice the tools of a theatre artist, working with professional Teaching Artists to hone their skills and polish up the show that The Porter Project will become. Lakeshore’s own Aaron Fiskradatz returns as Director.
Yes, we’re writing it!
After the success of last year’s Peter Pan: In Our Own Words during SYP 2017, Lakeshore will once more offer a series of writing workshops where members of the cast will discuss Shakespeare’s original text and begin writing some of their own. Will we write in full Shakespearean prose? Probably not. But the most exciting thing is that the students will ultimately decide this for themselves, as they slowly write the play together over 8 sessions this spring.
Attendance at the workshop & auditions on June 19 & 20 is mandatory. These will be held at Lakeshore Players Theatre’s new location: 4941 Long Avenue, White Bear Lake, MN 55110
Camp Registration – How to Apply
(You may also call 651-426-3275 to register over the phone or stop by Lakeshore Players Theatre to register in person).
- TUITION FEE: $440
- Optional writing workshop fee: $120
- (Partial scholarships available, see below)
- REGISTRATION DEADLINE: MONDAY, JUNE 11
- Deadline for writing workshop registration: Monday, April 23
- Camp spots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis, according to completed and paid registrations, until the cap of 35 students (10 for the writing workshop) is reached. At that point a numbered waiting list will be created.
- Registration is considered complete once payment is submitted. Registration without payment cannot be guaranteed admittance.
- Limited financial assistance is available in the form of partial scholarships. Please note on the application the amount of scholarship requested and we will do our utmost to honor your request. To request financial assistance, fill out this form online or download a scholarship form and include it with your registration.
- If a student withdraws before June 11, a refund will be issued (less a $25 administration fee).
- No refunds after June 11.
Call Lakeshore Players – 651-426-3275
Unless otherwise noted, all activities will be held at Lakeshore Players Theatre. Directions
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through grants from the Minnesota State Arts Board, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund. Partial funding also provided by individual Lakeshore Players supporters.